Survey Results

This section presents information from the electronic surveys completed by the RNC residents. 39 residents responded to the survey. Data from the responses created the following charts and graphs to represent and analyze the results. Some of the questions asked in the survey allowed for multiple answers to be recorded, so their respective charts and graphs are based on the total number of responses instead of the number of surveys taken.


Figure 1: Housing Type.

The pie chart in Figure 1 represents the specific housing type of each resident who took the survey. A slight majority of residents who took the survey live in renter-occupied housing, accounting for 53% of total feedback. The other 47% of responses represented residents who live in owner-occupied housing.


Figure 2: How Many of Your Neighbors Do You Know?

Figure 2 represents the relationships between residents and their neighbors. 17 residents stated that they only knew a few of their neighbors, and 9 residents stated they knew none of their neighbors. Accounting for a majority of the total responses, this reveals that relationships between residents within the neighborhood are relatively weak.


Figure 3: How Safe Do You Feel in RNC?

Information in Figure 3 represents the different levels of safety that residents feel while living in RNC. The data shows that a majority of residents feel “moderately safe” within the community, while only 9 feel “very safe” and 4 feel “extremely safe.” These account for all but 3 responses, which show that the neighborhood is relatively safe.


Figure 4: Do You Feel Your Daily Needs Are Met Within RNC?

Figure 4 illustrates how residents feel their daily needs are being met in the neighborhood. The 56% majority says that they do feel like their needs are being met in the neighborhood, while the other 44% feels like they are not. This shows room for improving how to service the neighborhood’s needs.


Figure 5: Occupations of Residents.

Figure 5 represents the occupation of the residents who took the survey. A very large majority of the residents who answered this question were college students. The two other largest occupations were Art, Design, Entertainment, Sports & Media and Retired workers. This shows that most of the residents are college students, but there are a wide variety of occupations.


Figure 6: Neighborhood Improvements.

The data in Figure 6 represents the priority of improvements residents feel need to be made in the neighborhood. 28 responses showed that improvements to sidewalks are the most important improvement needed to be made. Improvements to streets, alleys, and lighting were also among the top responses which show that residents desire to improve walkability.


Figure 7: How Residents Travel Around Muncie.

Figure 7 illustrates the different modes of transportation used around the neighborhood and the city. 36 residents said that their main mode of transportation is their personal car, motorcycle, or moped. The next largest group are the 25 residents who mostly walk to get from place to place. This suggests that places of interest are located relatively close to each other, but may not have walkable/bikeable routes to take.


Figure 8: Would Residents be willing to Improve Relations Between Permanent Residents and Renters?

Figure 8 represents the willingness to improve relations between permanent residents and renters. 58% answered yes, while 42% answered no. This shows that residents desire to live in a more connected community.


Figure 9: Do Residents Think RNC is Moving in the Right Direction?

Figure 9 illustrates the opinion of residents when asked if the neighborhood is moving in the right direction. 57% answered yes, while 43% answered no. Although there is room to improve within the community, residents can see that there are efforts being done to improve the neighborhood.